As you’re evaluating potential marketing portal partners for your company, don’t neglect an important criterion that many marketers might overlook: technical support.
Clear, attractive graphics are important – who would disagree with that? And a system that lets your team access campaigns and other digital assets quickly and effortlessly is also important, as is robust reporting functionality and integration with print and fulfillment services.
But so is working with a partner that provides IT support.
Here are some of the technical features you should be concerned about:
- Customization capabilities. In general, off-the-shelf options are quick to set up and easy on the wallet…but difficult (if not impossible) to customize. You need a portal that you can tailor to your exact needs. Find a partner that can custom build you one – working side by side with your marketing team.
- Security. You’re sharing secure documents, and you’re probably accepting payments on your portal as well. This requires a high level of security to ensure privacy and protection. Look for encrypted transmission of customer data.
- Systems back up. Ask your potential partner about their web server back up as well as where the hardware is stored. What specific firewall measures are in place?
- Custom integration. A marketing portal that can be custom integrated with your existing CRM, marketing automation, or shopping cart system is ideal. If it doesn’t integrate with your systems, it won’t work for you.
- Who’s your IT support? If team members have questions about the functionality, if new or enhanced systems training is needed, or if management is asking for details about the DAM system, you want to be able to contact the individual or individuals who understand the system and can provide assistance. Look for a partner that offers its own IT support.
So as you look at companies that offer marketing portals, ask about technical support. Is it online and/or off line? Can you reach a person by phone and by email as needed? When is this support available? Get as much detail about the system and the technical support you can count on before signing on.